Requirements for a church wedding

If you also want to marry in church, there are additional costs for the rent of the church and the fee for the organ player in addition to the civil wedding. Of course, the festive decorations on the altar and on the rows of seats also have their price.

When and where can you register?

The registration for the wedding takes place in the parish in which the bride or groom resides or to which the two have a personal connection. Ideally, this step should be taken a year before the desired month (or at least six months before) in order to get an appointment safely.

This should also happen before ordering the festival location, music etc., because your church is not always free on the desired date. And the priest doesn’t always have time for this appointment.

Almost every church can

Registration for the church wedding always takes place in the parish. If you plan to get married in another church, you must have this noted so that the coordination in the direction of the desired other church runs smoothly.

To register for the wedding you need …

… from both weddings:

– Photo ID
– birth certificate
– Proof of reporting
– the marriage certificate, if you are already married in a civil registry office or proof of registration for the civil wedding

If one of you was married before, you also need the state marriage certificate and the corresponding document on the divorce.

If you have been married in a church, you must bring your marriage certificate, proof of the church’s invalidity or the death certificate of the first spouse

And of course the names and addresses of the witnesses must be given in general.

The marriage seminar

The marriage seminar is intended to accompany the bride and groom away from everyday life and stress in relation to the decision to marry in church and to give them the opportunity to consciously look at relationship issues and to discover additional perspectives.

Design your wedding service yourself

Of course, it makes perfect sense if you, as a couple, prepare your wedding service yourself, because a service offers many options within a certain framework. It is best to discuss your wishes directly with the priest or deacon, who will then carry out your wedding ceremony.

By the way: To be able to marry according to the Catholic rite, at least one partner must belong to the Catholic Church.


You should allow enough time to prepare for your wedding in peace.

First, you should clarify the following questions with your future: When, in which church, in what context, with how many wedding guests, with what financial budget you want to celebrate your wedding.

Only you alone should plan the course of your big day – because it is only your wedding.

However, if your parents or someone else would like to participate in the financing, you should make it clear to them that there is no co-determination.

However, you should try to hand over tasks that you cannot do yourself to competent people you trust.


If at least one partner is Catholic and from the point of view of the Kirch is not married, couples can marry in church – this can also be a civil marriage. If in doubt, you should discuss this with the priest.

If you want a Catholic wedding, you can only get married in a Catholic church.

Register your wedding in good time and let the municipal office confirm that your desired date is also available.

If you want to get married in another church, contact the pastor responsible. You need a “transfer” from the pastor of one of your places of residence.

However, if a partner is Protestant, then you should also speak to the Protestant pastor. You should clarify with him / her whether you need other documents for a Catholic wedding in addition to the discharge certificate.


Actually there is no “ecumenical” wedding, only a Catholic wedding with the participation of a Protestant pastor or an Evangelical wedding with the participation of a Catholic pastor.

With the selection of the church (Catholic or Protestant) you decide which denomination the focus should be on, since the “host” always celebrates the actual wedding.

In the event that the Catholic partner decides to go to a Protestant wedding, you will need an affirmative certificate from your Catholic community.


Register in time for a marriage preparation course so that you can enjoy this time free from the preparation stress of the past few weeks. Ideally 4 – 5 months before the wedding date. The marriage preparation course can also be completed before the first interview with the pastor – however, this does not entitle you to a church wedding.

If you have decided on a church wedding at short notice, it also makes sense to take part in a marriage (preparatory) course after the wedding, since the topics of the evenings are important for the entire way of marriage.


The following documents are required for a church wedding:

Extract from the baptism book of the Catholic partner – you can get this from the parish office in whose church she / he was baptized. The certificate must not be older than six months to ensure that the Catholic partner is not already married. If you are baptized in the church where you want to get married, you do not need this document.

A signed marriage preparation protocol – the priest will prepare this together with you.

“Transfer” – this only applies if you do not want to get married in your local community or in your denomination.


You can decide for yourself whether you prefer a wedding in a word service or a wedding with the Eucharist. A celebration of the Eucharist is also possible with religious differences. Since the non-Catholic / non-Christian partner is not invited to receive communion, many confessionally different couples opt for a word service.

The songs and the music can also take up the guiding principle. You can choose between old and new songs, but should limit yourself to “church hits” so that those who want to sing along can do it too. If it is foreseeable that joy in singing is not to be expected, pure instrumental music also sounds very nice.

There are ready-made texts for the intercession. They can also be formulated freely and tailored to you and your family concerns.

Of course, you can also memorize the promise of marriage.


It is not compulsory to choose a wedding spell. This more evangelical tradition is being adopted by more and more couples. If you have this wish, you will find many suggestions on the Internet.


The preparation of a song book for the celebration is not a requirement for the church wedding, but more and more couples are practicing it. Design and content depend on your taste and your creativity. But many don’t feel like making these booklets themselves. Here you can leave this work to someone who likes to do it for you.


You should instruct someone to monitor everything well for the course of the church wedding (and also for the subsequent celebration). They should be aware of all the processes, all the wishes of the bride and groom and implement them if necessary, because as a bride and groom you should be able to celebrate this day carefree.

The following tasks can result:

-rings and wedding candles must not be left at home

-distributing the songbooks on the benches

-check in the church whether the seating for the bride and groom is set up in such a way that a bride with a crinoline and train easily fits between the seat and the knee bench

-asking the wedding guests to sit in the church early and not wait for the newlyweds to arrive outside

-the discreet dressing, train or veil of the bride at the altar – if necessary

-taking the presents and flowers from the altar so that the hands are free for the next well-wishers